If you are looking for an easy dessert that looks good and tastes good, this butterscotch trifle needs to be in your lineup. As you know, every once in a while, I will create a recipe that uses box ingredients. This is one of those times and this butterscotch trifle would be a great dessert to make with your kids. The cake was made with a box mix as was the pudding. The whipped cream did not come out of a container but making homemade whipped cream is so easy and tastes so much better than the alternative. Simply add cream, sugar and vanilla to your stand mixer and let it go. Voila!
- 1 chocolate cake mix box
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 boxes butterscotch pudding
- 8 cups milk
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the cake batter, oil and eggs. Stir well.
- Pour into a baking pan.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine the butterscotch pudding mix and milk in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 12 - 15 minutes. Let cool in the fridge.
- In a stand mixer, combine the heavy cream and sugar. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Assemble the trifle in layers. Start by crumbling the cake with your hands.
- Put a 2" layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Next, added a 1/2 of the butterscotch pudding.
- Then, put most of the whipped cream layer reserving a little for the plating.
- Finish, by adding a cake layer, another pudding layer and then put some whipped cream in the center. Top with more cake crumbs.
- Serve and enjoy!
Start by following the instructions on the pudding container. Cook and then let set.
Meanwhile, mix the cake ingredients according to the box instructions.
Then, pour into a baking tray and bake. Now that’s easy.
Break the cake up with your hands and put the 1st layer in your serving dish.
2nd layer of pudding is added next.
The whipped cream is added.
The process is repeated with the cake and then the pudding.
And it is finally topped off with a little whipped cream and some cake crumbs.
Serve and enjoy!