This post is an outgrowth of my participation with The Daily Meal. The Daily Meal is a online publishing magazine serving the food community providing the most food content on the net. A number of food bloggers are content contributors, and in turn, we get neat opportunities in the food space as well as exposure to a broader audience.
In his case, we were asked to create a recipe using Tyson’s Chicken Strips. Tyson’s has a variety of flavors to choose from. Given my bent towards down home cooking, I gravitated to the Buffalo style chicken strips. I could not just serve them as you would eat Buffalo wings. But what to do?
I chose to marry the traditional flavors associated with Buffalo wings but deliver them in a different vessel. But what vessel? What wrapper? I thought about this for a while and then came up with the idea of a spring roll. Not the rice wrapper in its traditional form but fried. What else? This is a Buffalo wing knock off.
- 4 Tyson's Buffalo Chicken Strips, halved lengthwise
- 2 Stalks Celery, cut to 4" long
- 4 - 6 baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Frank's red hot sauce
- 6 Spring roll wrappers
- 2 cups corn oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place Tyson's Buffalo Chicken Strips for 18 - 20 minutes. Set aside. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Combine the mayonnaise and the hot sauce, mix well. Set aside.
- Fill a bowl with water. Drop the spring roll wrappers in the water one at a time. Rotate them around for 3 - 5 seconds. When the wrapper is basically soft, move to counter.
- Begin assembly, by adding 1/2 of the Buffalo Chicken Strips near the edge closest to you.
- Add a handful of the crumbled blue cheese lengthwise against the Buffalo chicken strip.
- Roll the wrapper 1 full time, folding in the chicken strip and blue cheese. Fold over each side to the center and roll one more time.
- Lay one piece of the celery and carrot against the rolled edge and fold over until all the wrapper is rolled.
- Place the oil in a cast iron skillet and heat on high heat. Once smoking, turn down the heat to medium high.
- Place the Buffalo Wrapped Chicken Strip in the oil. It will need only 1 - 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from the oil and let rest for a minute.
- Serve and enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Ingredients on Tray.
Tyson’s Buffalo Chicken Strips Baked.
Buffalo Sauce Aoli.
add pic here
Spring Rolls Rolled on Tray.