There are certain recipes that one makes that are pretty simple yet have great flavor and look good too. The first time I tried this basic recipe I was making Ina Garten’s Rao’s Chicken. Since, I made that recipe I have seen an episode on the Food Network showing this dish. As I understand it, the restaurant in New York City is super small and really hard to get into. Rao’s opened in Las Vegas so more people can try the restaurant and this recipe. I changed up my original dish a little by adding more vegetables to create this lemon chicken.
I go to Las Vegas once a year for the ICSC conference. This is the largest real estate conference in the Country and it is dedicated to all professionals focused on the retail sector of the field. Las Vegas is such a good eating experience. So many famous chefs now have outlets in Las Vegas. You can get almost any kind of food you like or any chef you like. The last time I got a hint from some locals and went to a great Italian restaurant off the strip. Really fun experience.
Back to this Lemon Chicken recipe. One additional thing I did this time was to buy a whole chicken and cut it up myself. Learning to butcher is part of the being a chef process. Butchering a chicken is really quite easy. Learn to do it because it makes buying this much chicken even less expensive. It is so simple but the broiling process creates such a good char on the skin. The chicken really absorbs the marinade and you would expect that the chicken was marinated for a couple of days. The original recipe is simply served but the lemon marinade goes so well with carrots and broccoli that I added both to the recipe. I also added lemon slices during the broiling process to add more lemon flavor and to enhance the look.
- 2 – 2 1/2-to-3-pound broiling chickens, cut into pieces
- Salt, pepper, oregano and Seasoned salt
- 1 – 3 lb bag of mini potatoes, red or gold
- 1 Lemon sliced
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 regular size bag of carrots
- 3 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by taking the whole chicken and cutting into pieces.
- Place the chicken in your cast iron skillet and generously rub with Season salt.
- Pre-heat your broiler on a low broil. Let the oven warm before you put the chicken in the oven. Broil the chicken halves for about 30 minutes.
- While this initial broil is going, whisk together juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- At this stage, remove the skillet from the oven and add the potatoes carrots and broccoli. Cover all the ingredients with your lemon mixture.
- Broil for another 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Seasoned Chicken in Skillet.