My Chocolate Muffin Ice Cream Cups are the second in a group of chocolate posts as part of a blogging cooperative called #choctoberfest. A group of bloggers get together and make chocolate recipes. Like I need a reason to make and eat chocolate! I wish I could credit the blogger that I saw this concept. I saw these muffin cups and thought what a fun idea. The idea of a muffin cup opens up a lot of ideas for filling the cup. The perfect compliment to the chocolate is vanilla. Later I will talk about the caramel accent. Is there anything better than chocolate and vanilla together?
My first recipe for #choctoberfest was a No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream. The ice cream in this recipe is a no churn vanilla bean ice cream. To date, that is my favorite of the flavors I have made. You will need to wait until later for the recipe. It is so easy. So you will definitely want to check back and grab the recipe when I post it. Ice cream not withstanding, this muffin is decadent. It is chocolate at its most, at its best. It is a muffin that gets its flavor from cocoa. I think cocoa makes the most intense flavor of chocolate you can develop.
The coolest thing about this muffin is making it a vessel for the ice cream. It is quite simple to accomplish this simple modification to the muffin. Immediately after you take the muffins out of the oven, place another muffin tin on top of the cooked muffins. The tin is placed right side up so the bottom of the tin is pressing down on the cooked muffin. Apply some pressure and keep it in this position for 20 – 30 minutes. When, the muffin tin is removed the muffins will have a depression in them ready for the ice cream.
The dry ingredients with the cocoa.
The wet ingredients mixed, and then, added to the dry ingredients.
The muffin batter poured into the tins. The muffins after baking. Finally, the compression of the muffins.
The Chocolate Muffin Ice Cream Cups plated.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup natural cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 10 1/2 ounces chocolate chips and/or chopped chocolate
- Red sugar sparkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and prepare a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Add in the sugar while beating and continue to beat until the mixture is fully combined and thickened.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the oil until fully incorporated.
- Wipe down bowl and beater and beat in Greek yogurt and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet until mixed.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with some of the sprinkles.
- Bake muffins in preheated oven for 10 minutes, and then reduce heat to 350ºF and bake another 5-10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and immediately top with another muffin tin pressing down or adding a weight to compress the tops of the muffins.
- Leave compressed for about 10 minutes.
- Serve by topping with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Today is one of my favorite days of the year… because it is the first day of #Choctoberfest 2016!
#Choctoberfest is a virtual event put together by The PinterTest Kitchen. Bloggers from around the world will be posting their favorite chocolate recipes, and you’ll get a chance to win some awesome prizes. What’s not to love?
Thank you to the sponsors who make #Choctoberfest possible! This year, Imperial Sugar is back as our Gold Sponsor. They have been a trusted name in kitchens since 1843, and their website is home to thousands of sweet recipes tested in the Imperial Sugar Kitchen. You can find Imperial Sugar on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube, or join their Sweet Community so you can share your own recipes, save recipes to a virtual inbox, print Imperial Sugar coupons, and connect with other sugar lovers.
Imperial Sugar and our silver sponsors have banded together to offer a huge #Choctoberfest prize pack, which you can enter to win below! One lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive the following:
- From our Gold Sponsor Imperial Sugar: 1 case of granulated sugar (40 pounds), 1 case of brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of dark brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of powdered sugar (24 pounds bags), and an Imperial Sugar red ruffle apron
- From our Silver Sponsor Nature Nate’s: 32 oz. Raw & Unfiltered Honey bottle, Honey Syrup, Honey Packets, a Nature Nate’s T-shirt, various kitchen supplies, and $50 Amazon gift card
- From our Silver Sponsor Barlean’s:16 oz Barlean’s Butter-Flavored Coconut Oil, 9.52 oz canister of Chocolate Silk Greens, and 8oz bottle of Essential Women Omega-Swirl Chocolate Mint
- From our Silver Sponsor Caveman Coffee: 1 Bag of Coffee (you choice of blacklisted or sabertooth), 1 coconut MCT oil, and 1 Cacao Butter
- From #Choctoberfest blog hosts The PinterTest Kitchen: 1 specialty chocolate gift pack (your choice of dark or milk chocolate), 1 tin (14 ounces) drinking chocolate, and Divine’s Fair Trade Gift Set
Enter now to win our #Choctoberfest 2016 prize pack! We’ll be picking a winner at random winner on Saturday, Oct. 22, so enter by next Friday to make sure your name is in the drawing:
Here’s a list of all of the bloggers participating in #Choctoberfest 2016. Visit any of their blogs to get delicious chocolate recipes throughout the week:
The PinterTest Kitchen • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures • addicted 2 recipes • Amy’s Cooking Adventures • An Affair From The Heart • Balancing Motherhood • Body Rebooted • Bottom Left of the Mitten • By the Pounds • Canning and Cooking at Home • Coconut & Lime • Cook with 5 Kids • Cook’s Hideout • Cookaholic Wife • Cooking with Carlee • CopyKat Recipes • Cricket’s Confections • Crumbs in my Mustachio • Elisabeth Jean • Fairyburger • Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice • Family Around the Table • Fantastical Sharing of Recipes • Feed Your Soul Too • Feeding Big • Frankly Entertaining • Full Belly Sisters • Get the Good Stuff • Grumpy’s Honeybunch • Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks • Hostess At Heart • Ink and Sugar • Jane’s Adventures in Dinner • Join Us, Pull Up a Chair • Karen’s Kitchen Adventures • Kate’s Recipe Box • Kudos Kitchen by Renee • Kylee Cooks • Letz Eat • Life Currents • Life on Food • Making Miracles • Monica’s Table • Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog • My Catholic Kitchen • My Gluten Free Miami • Our Good Life • Palatable Pastime • Restless Chipotle • Seduction in The Kitchen • Sew You Think You Can Cook • Simple Food 365 • Southern With A Twist • Sumptuous Spoonfuls • Take Two Tapas • Tampa Cake Girl • Teaspoon of Goodness • That Recipe • The Crumby Cupcake • The Flavourista • The Food Hunter’s Guide To Cuisine • The Freshman Cook • The Pajama Chef • The Redhead Baker • The Spiffy Cookie • Tramplingrose • Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen • Zesty South Indian Kitchen
I’m looking forward to seeing all of the yummy recipes posted on these blogs. Check them out throughout the week and don’t forget to follow our sponsors and bloggers using the Rafflecopter giveaway widget above for your chance to win our sweet prize pack.
Are you a fellow food blogger who wants to get involved with events like #Choctoberfest? Sign up here to get notifications when they happen from The PinterTest Kitchen.