I know I say this a lot but I love the flavors in this Red Thai Curry Fish. Well after all, I am a food blogger and I blog mostly so I can share my cooking stories. I love so many different types and styles of food. What are your favorite ethnic styles of food? I have to admit, I learned something pretty darn simple in making this recipe.
Part of my motivation to make this dish was that I bought a red curry spice mixture at the Spice shop I have talked about a number of times. I just had not gotten around to using it. The directions to make the red curry paste are pretty simple. Either add water or oil to the spice mixture. Since I love curry paste, I had red curry paste in my fridge. What I learned is the paste you buy at the store is the exact same thing I created with this spice mixture. Next time I go to the spice shop, I will have to check out the price to see if it is more economical to buy the spice or the pre-made stuff in the store. I assume the spice mixture is a better value. Regardless, using the spice mixture is so easy and I mean easy.
It is really fun to find recipes that have such deep, rich flavor and are so easy to put together. This Red Thai Curry Fish is quite easy to put together. I started with really good fish. Actually, three types of fish including salmon, halibut and sea bass. Each of these fish are sturdy enough to hold up to being stewed. The broth is a mixture of the red Thai curry paste and coconut milk. Some additional flavor is added to the broth with lemongrass paste, fish sauce, lime zest, cilantro and dark brown sugar. Just create the broth and let the fish cook in the broth. The fish gets a rich flavor. Serve over rice and be sure to ladle over plenty of sauce for the rice to absorb.
- 1 pound salmon, cubed
- 1 pound sea bass, cubed
- 1 pound halibut, cubed
- 1 - 13.5 ounce can of light coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (can substitute water)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 chili pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 1 cup white rice.
- Combine the red Thai pepper spice with the oil.
- In a skillet, add the coconut milk, vegetable stock and red Thai pepper paste.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the fish sauce, brown sugar and lime zest and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, green pepper, chili pepper and cilantro and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the fish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the spinach and cook for a couple of minutes until wilted.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to box instructions.
- In a bowl, place a generous amount of rice, top with a big ladle of the fish stew.
- Serve and enjoy!
The fish cut into pieces.
Developing the stock and then adding the fish.
The final dish.