I am not sure where I saw this idea but it has summer written all over it. We love artichokes in my family. Traditionally, we just steam them and serve them with butter. Now the butter does not work for me anymore. You have been hearing me talk about healthier cooking and eating. Given the benefit of summertime, a healthy alternative was easy to develop. Cook the artichokes until al dente and finish on a grill. The grilled artichokes are mopped with a simple seasoning of olive oil, lemon and garlic. These grilled artichokes will be sure to impress your friends – just don’t tell them how easy it is to make. Back to the healthy: it needs no dipping sauce. By brushing the cut artichokes with lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper, flavor is developed and when cooked, the lemon flavor comes through.
- 3 large artichokes
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Squeeze the juice from one lemon wedge into the water.
- Trim the tops from the artichokes, then cut in half lengthwise, and place halves into the bowl of lemon water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Add artichokes to boiling water, and cook for about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon wedges into a medium bowl. Stir in the olive oil and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the artichokes with a coating of the lemon, olive oil, garlic dip, and place them on the preheated grill. Grill the artichokes for 5 to 10 minutes, basting with dip and turning frequently, until the tips are a little charred.
- Serve immediately with the remaining dip.
Start by cutting the artichokes in half and basting with the lemon and olive oil.
Brush with the olive oil, lemon and spice mixture and grill.