As many of you know, whenever the kids are home, especially my daughter, they always ask for my chicken milanese. Now this dish is great as is but how about a little spin, or should I say, addition to the classic Italian dish. This Chicken Milanese Cheese & Tomato is really a chicken milanese turned into a chicken Parmesan. You can really taste the difference because of the texture of the chicken. Whenever I make the chicken milanese, the chicken is sliced in half horizontally, and then, pounded. This makes the chicken super tender and less bulky. Pounding the chicken would be a good idea for a regular chicken Parmesan.
The tomato sauce I made is a super thick sauce. Flavorful and chunky. I like the texture added to the texture of the breaded chicken. I have also learned, if you have time, let the breaded chicken set in the fridge so the breading adheres more.
- 5 boneless, skinless, Chicken Breasts
- 3 – 4 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp each salt and pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 – 6 tbsp canola oil
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes with garlic and oregano
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp each garlic and onion powder
- 5 slices Mozzarella cheese
- Start by slicing the chicken breasts horizontally.
- Then, pound the chicken to an approximate thickness of 1/8″. Set aside.
- Next, set up a dredging station with beaten eggs in one bowl, flour and oregano in another bowl and bread crumbs and cornmeal in a third bowl.
- First, dredge the chicken in the flour mixture shaking off the excess.
- Next, drop the chicken into the egg wash and let the excess drop off.
- Finish by dropping the chicken into the bread crumbs. Pat the crumbs into the breasts. Again, shake off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Use enough oil to completely cover the bottom of the pan. Drop the chicken slowly into the hot skillet. Cook 2 – 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from the skillet and place on a baking rack.
- Place in a 275 degree oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add a piece of the cheese and cook until melted - 1 - 2 minutes
- In a sauce pan, add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, garlic and onion powder and cook until warm. Cook enough to have the extra liquid burn off.
- Top the chicken, melted cheese with the tomato sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
The chicken is breaded and, if you have time, placed in the fridge to set.
Melt the cheese before adding the tomato sauce
The Chicken Milanese Cheese & Tomato Plated
Serve and enjoy!