Do you think about how you cut your vegetables? I have really started to consider how my vegetables look for serving. I have used my Spiralizer quite a bit but I have not used my mandolin too much. Well that is changing. The mandolin is such a versatile tool. You will have to tune in for more posts as I start to experiment with different foods and cuts using the mandolin. I think this Zucchini Squash Salad looks great with the long thin cuts of the vegetables.
Cutting the zucchini and squash in these ribbons made for hearty vegetables that can really hold up to the dressing. These vegetables cut in ribbons can stand up to all kinds of dressing. With these vegetables, you do not have to do too much. Let the vegetables shine. Just provide some accent to bring out the earthiness of the zucchini and squash. When you use fresh vegetables, you do not want to cover them up. The dressing in this recipe is used to soften the zucchini and squash just a little. Depending on how thin the vegetables are cut, will determine how long the vegetables need to marinate in the dressing. The thinner the vegetables, the less time needed for the marinade.
- 2 Zucchini
- 2 Yellow Squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 - 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Cut off the end of the zucchini and squash.
- Cut the vegetables into ribbons about 1/4" thick using the mandolin.
- Combine the oil, red pepper flakes, lemon juice salt and pepper and mix well.
- In a large bowl, pour the dressing over the vegetables. Mix well.
- Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!