This Red Pepper Salad a la Zahav is the eighth recipe I have tried and made from the Michael Solomonov’s Zahav cookbook. All of these recipes are winners. If you ever find yourself in Philadelphia, you need to try his restaurant – ZAHAV. You will be so glad you did. If you can’t get to Philadelphia, then just start searching through my blog. I have made enough recipes to get you to the main course and after dinner. My favorite of the appetizers or a side dish, if you prefer, is the Charred Eggplant Salad. My favorite dessert was the Tahini Semifreddo.
My favorite vegetable to put in almost any dish is a pepper. I like so many types of peppers including a whole host of Mexican peppers including the jalapeno, the poblano and dried chillies like ancho, guajillo and arbol. I really like the Japanese Shishito pepper. The most versatile pepper, though, is the bell pepper. I have used them in so many different dishes from my Mexican to my Cajun recipes. They are great added to an omelet and great added to a salad. Each of the colors of the bell pepper has a different flavor. I like them all but I favor the red bell pepper. It has a great taste and as you can see in this dish, the color is so vibrant.
This recipe is really easy to prepare yet it is packed with flavor. The red bell peppers are complimented with onions, carrots and fresh cilantro. The spices used include sweet paprika, sugar and kosher salt. Some red wine vinegar is used during the cooking process. The final ingredient is olive oil used both upfront in the skillet and added to the food processor while blending the vegetables. I final thought on this recipe is that it can really be used in so many different ways. I think this would be a perfect topping for a white fish like tilapia or cod. I would blend the vegetables a little more but I would not change a thing with the recipe.
The onions and oil in the skillet followed by adding the sweet paprika.
Next, the red wine vinegar is added, and then, the red bell peppers.
After the carrots, cilantro and salt are added, the cooked down vegetables are pulsed in a food processor.
The Red Pepper Salad a la Zahav plated.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 – 5 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the vegetables – dicing the onions, chopping the carrots and the cilantro.
- Heat about half the oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until soft – about 10 minutes.
- Add in the sweet paprika and cook through for 2 minutes.
- Add in the red wine vinegar and cook off for a minute.
- Add in the red bell peppers and cook until tender – about 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, cilantro, sugar and salt and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Let the mixture cool a little.
- Pour the contents into the food processor and pulse until small yet still chunky.
- Add a little more of the oil if the mixture is dry.
- Serve and enjoy!