Is it starting to get cold where you live? Do you need something to warm you up? OK, this is a food blog. If you need that, you need to go to another site. The direction I was going was soup – Broccoli Soup. It is so easy to make a fresh, homemade soup. Do you want a creamy soup? How about I show you how to make a creamy soup without using a cream. Is that even possible?
You are going to have to wait a little to learn the trick. One of things I need with my soup is that it needs to be hearty. I like a soup that eats like a meal. The soup can be a consume if it has hearty ingredients added to it. If the soup is your meal, then it needs to be substantive. How do you make a soup with vegetables hearty and thick. The simple answer is potatoes. Potatoes are added primarily for texture. The potatoes give the soup really good texture.
One other concept used in this soup to impart a strong broccoli flavor was that I cooked the broccoli stems in with the other ingredients. I took them out when the soup was blended.
- 2 heads broccoli, stems cut off but saved
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup chicken stock (because I ran out of vegetable stock)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Cut the broccoli into florets, saving the stems and set aside.
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and warm the oil.
- Add the onions and potatoes and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a big pot adding in the broccoli (stems too) and the stock.
- Cook for 10 – 15 minutes until broccoli is soft.
- Remove from heat and take out the stems.
- Using a blender, blend the ingredients in batches.
- Return to your stock pot when done.
- Heat for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Check for seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy!
The broth that is used (I didn’t check my pantry before I went to the store so I had to also add chicken stock).
The potatoes, onion, garlic and spices in the skillet.
All the ingredients moved to the stock pot including the broccoli stems.
The cooked down broccoli and potatoes in the blender.
The final plated Broccoli Soup.