I don’t know about you but we love breakfast for dinner. Do you? We will actually eat breakfast any time of the day. You also know I love Mexican food. So put breakfast and Mexican food together and you have a winner – a Mexican Frittata.
I think the word frittata is used too often and sometimes incorrectly. A frittata is a flat Italian style omelet usually made in a cast iron skillet. It may also have its origin in Spanish cuisine. Either way, the frittata begins its cooking in the skillet until it starts to set. Then, instead of being folded, it is finished off in the oven. This gives the frittata a lightness, an airiness.
The fun thing about a frittata is you can put almost anything into it. I almost always begin by satueeing vegetables in the skillet to get some flavor in the dish and into the skillet. Then, the eggs are added to begin to set. Before I put the frittata in the oven, I mix cheese in it. You can add cheese on the top towards the end of the cooking process as well if you like. In this recipe, I topped the egg dish with pepper rings for color and flavor.
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup Mexican shredded cheese
- 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 diced and 2 ring slices
- 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 diced and 2 ring slices
- 1/3 of a red onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons aleppo chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers 2 minutes into the cooking of the onions.
- Add all the spices and mix in.
- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts – 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the oil to the pan and let heat for a minute.
- Beat eggs and milk until fully combined.
- Pour in the eggs. Let the eggs begin to firm – about 3 minutes.
- Pull the firm eggs to the center of the pan and let cook some more.
- Add 3/4 or so of the cup of cheese and mix through. Let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Move to a 325 degree oven. After 5 minutes of cooking, top with the remaining cheese and the pepper rings.
- Finish cooking in the oven for another 8 – 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
The ingredients include peppers, spinach, red onions, eggs and cheese.
The spices are highlighted by garlic powder, smoked paprika and aleppo chili pepper.
Vegetables sauteeing in the cast iron skillet.
The spinach is added so it can wilt.
The dish is rounded out with the addition of the eggs.
You pull the eggs to the center as it begins to set and the cheese is added.
Before being put into the oven, a little more cheese is added and the pepper rings.
The final dish after being baked.