This is one of those dishes where the flavors just meld together so well. You might even get your kids to eat vegetables.
Zucchini & Onion Cheesy Breadcrumb topping:
- Slice 1 onion into slices and add to a skillet with 1 tbsp each of olive oil and butter
- Cook onions until softened about 5 minutes and add 6 sliced zucchinis to skillet and continue cooking until they begin to soften – about 5 minutes
- Add 1 tsp each of salt and pepper and then add 1 tbsp of flour. Mix thoroughly
- Add 3/4 cup of lite 1/2 & 1/2 and a 1/4 cup of lite buttermilk (you can certainly make this healthier and use skim milk) stirred in thoroughly to create a roux like sauce
- Transfer to a baking dish and cover with 3/4 cup each of cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs mixed thoroughly and topped on the vegetables
- Put dabs of butter on the top and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and serve