This is the final post in my series using my yellow Curry Paste. This sauce has been so versatile. I even used it to make an aioli for my Indian Turkey Burger and as a dipping sauce for Indian Spiced Fries. This sauce is LEGIT for true Indian flavors and for this Vegetable Curry. I took liberties with my vegetables and through in the kitchen sink. Or let’s just say I was cleaning the vegetables out of my fridge.
When I make vegetarian dishes, I still want a hearty meal. I also want the recipe to have textural interest. I think this dish accomplished that by having the spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms and baby corn. I think the baby corn is so fun. I only see baby corn in Chinese dishes. At least I was in the same region of the world.
As you know, I am also a big fan of cream sauces. I try, however, not to use heavy cream. I want to avoid the calories and the cholesterol. My go to substitute is coconut milk. Coconut milk is the typical ingredient used to make Indian and Thai recipes creamy. Eating dishes from these regions is probably where I learned to use coconut milk as a heavy cream substitute. I have mentioned in many posts that my kids love my Macaroni N Cheese and always request it when they come home (they are in college and beyond). My secret ingredient in this recipe is the coconut milk. It creates the perfect creaminess. It is the key in How to Make a Roux.
The curry paste added to the skillet.
The coconut milk added to the curry paste.
The vegetables added to the sauce, and then, mixed through.
The Vegetable Curry plated.
- 1/4 cup yellow curry paste (link to recipe in post)
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 8 ounces lite coconut milk
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/2 red bell pepper, rough chop
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, rough chop
- 6 ounces baby corn, drained
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the curry paste and cook for two minutes mixing well.
- Add in the coconut milk and cook for 2 minutes until fully incorporated.
- Next, add in all the vegetables and simmer for roughly 10 minutes.
- Mix well and serve with rice.