As I continue to explore my INNER VEGAN, I had yet to make a vegan dessert. Now I can no longer say that. These Vegan Chocolate Avocado Brownies are delicious and easy to make. Not only are they vegan, they are gluten free. I used brown rice flour to make them gluten free. They have great moistness which comes from the vanilla soy milk and the creamy avocado.
I do not want to say that you will be fooled into thinking these are “THE REAL THING”. But I want you to be assured that these are a wonderful alternative. I use avocado in a lot of recipes. I love avocados. My current go to breakfast is a banana avocado shake. I take one banana, one-half avocado, about one-quarter cup vanilla almond milk and mix it all in a blender. I think it takes like a milkshake. One day I am going to work with frozen bananas and turn this into a dessert. I want to know if you have ever tried to freeze and avocado and throw it in a blender? Does it work like a banana?
Making vegan and gluten free brownies is no different than making traditional brownies. Certain ingredients are substituted to make it vegan and gluten free. The brown rice flour in lieu of all-purpose flour makes them gluten free. Using the vanilla soy milk instead of milk, half and half or heavy cream keeps the recipe vegan. Don’t forget the avocado and bananas because that really add creaminess and moisture to the brownies.
The cast of characters.
The blender filled with the bananas, avocados and vanilla soy milk.
Building the batter with the dry ingredients; then the wet ingredients and lastly, the vegan chips.
The batter poured into the baking dish, and then, baked.
The gluten free and Vegan Chocolate Avocado Brownies plated.
- Coconut oil or olive oil cooking spray, for the baking dish
- 3/4 cup gluten- free brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup Vanilla soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat an 8-or 9-inch square baking dish with coconut oil spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the avocado, banana and Vanilla soy milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mix well with a spatula.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and, using the spatula, smooth the surface.
- Bake until the sides of the brownies are dry and pulling away from the pan, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Serve and enjoy!