If you’re looking to elevate your seafood culinary skills and savor a dish that’s both delicious and healthy, my Tomato Poached Rockfish might be just what you need. Poaching is a cooking technique that gently simmers food in liquid, and it’s perfect for preserving the delicate flavors and textures of fish. It also is the most forgiving way to cook protein.Jump to Recipe
Tomato poached rockfish is a delightful dish that combines the natural sweetness of rockfish with the bright, tangy flavors of tomatoes. This preparation method infuses the fish with the essence of ripe tomatoes, herbs, and other aromatic ingredients, resulting in a perfectly cooked fish. As explained in some detail by Spruce Eats, ROCKFISH is a fish from the Pacific Northwest. It is also known as Pacific snapper.
What is Poaching?
Poaching is a cooking method that involves simmering food gently in liquid, at a reasonably low temperature – it is more like simmering. Fish, in particular, benefits from poaching because it helps retain its natural moisture, resulting in tender and flaky fillets.
Other Benefits of Poaching
- Preserves Flavor: Unlike other cooking methods that may overpower the delicate flavors of fish, poaching allows the fish to shine. The fish absorbs the flavors of the poaching liquid, enhancing its taste without overwhelming it.
- Maintains Moisture: Poaching is a gentle cooking process that keeps the fish moist and prevents it from becoming dry or tough. This makes it an excellent choice for lean fish like rockfish.
- Low in Fat: Poaching requires minimal fat or oil, making it a healthier cooking option. It’s perfect for those looking to reduce their calorie intake while enjoying a delicious meal.
- Versatility: You can poach fish in a variety of liquids, from broth to wine to tomato sauce, allowing for endless flavor possibilities.
Tomato poached rockfish is a testament to the wonders of poaching, showcasing how this cooking technique can is so simple and creates such a flavorful dish. By poaching, you don’t end up with a great tasting recipe but one that’s satisfying and healthy. Give poaching a try.
Poaching the rockfish.
The Tomato Poached Rockfish plated.
Tomato Poached Rockfish
My Tomato Poached Rockfish is super easy way of cooking that ends in a very tasty dish that is all very healthy for you.
- 1/2 Whole Yellow onion diced
- 28 Ounces Whole peeled tomatoes mashed
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Lemon pepper
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Whole Lemon juice & zest
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Filets Rockfish skin on
Begin by heating the oil on medium heat. Add in the onions and soften for 3 minutes. Next, add in the garlic and all the spices. Cook for 1 minute. Pour in the whole tomatoes. Follow by adding in the lemon and the zest. Simmer for 5 minutes. Mash the tomatoes and in the honey. Cook for 2 minutes. Lower the heat to medium low. Now drop in the rockfish. Simmer for 6 – 8 minutes. When the fish is no longer opaque, it is ready to eat.
Serve over polenta with pesto on the side. Enjoy!