I wrote last week about making a pesto. Pesto is so versatile. I made the pesto for an adaptation of the traditional caprese. I made this Tomato Caprese with Pesto. Adding the pesto really added a nice freshness, a nice herbiness (is that a word) to this traditional recipe.
I hope you also agree that it makes for a beautiful appetizer. The contrasting colors are great. I find that dishes that have lots of colors are both appealing to the eye and to the taste buds. There must be a correlation in our minds that connects colors with our tastebuds. Here is a link to a study at Miami University helping us understand this connection.
- 1 1/2 cups basil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 container of fresh mozzarella balls
- Mix everything together in food processor except the oil and lemon.
- Once everything is mixed well, drizzle with lemon and oil.
- Mix until well blended.
- To assemble, take a slice of tomato, drizzle with oil, top with pesto and finish with mozzarella.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pesto ingredients in Cuisinart.
Basil completed and plated.
Tomato Caprese with Basil plated.