I really like fish tacos and this dinner request came from my wife. I remember when I started on my blogging journey as a totally ignorant cook. I am not being harsh. I simply mean that I knew essentially nothing. I have come a long way (if I do say so myself).
My point of sharing my progress is not to brag. It is to show that good cooking is about experience, practice and knowledge acquired. And what I have learned for Tilapia Fish Tacos, as with most dishes, the flavors have to be developed with each layer. Each layer has to have great ingredients and that stand on there own. If I remember back, I would cook my fish with some spice and throw it on a tortilla with some cabbage. Now I know, that flavor is packed into each layer and each layer needs to work with the other.
In these Tilapia Fish Tacos, the tortilla is topped with a Sriracha mayo; then avocado spread; next the spiced tilapia; pickled red onions, red cabbage and tomatoes. This dish has depth and is very satisfying. And as they say, we eat with our eyes first. The dish has great colors through the layers.
- 3 Tialpia Fillets
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Adobo seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Mexican Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 6 tortillas
- 2 avocados
- 1 teaspoon Tobasco
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon srirach
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, sliced
- 1 whole tomato, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients (using 3 tablespoons of the oil) up to the tortillas and form into a paste.
- Rub the paste on to the tilapia and set in the fridge for an hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and sriracha and set aside.
- Also, scoop out the avocado and mash and add the tobasco. Leave a little chunky. Set aside.
- Take the red onion and soak in the combined red wine vinegar, sugar and salt mixture for an hour.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the tilapia fillets and cook 2 - 3 minutes per side.
- Assemble the fish tacos by starting with a tortilla; now layer with the creamy avocado, tilapia, cabbage, pickled red onions, tomato and finish with the sriracha mayo.
- Serve and enjoy!