This sandwich was a “throw in” for the Tomato Bisque I made. Reality is this sandwich was so good it should stand on its own. I had gone to the store and specifically bought a few cheeses to blend together with a smoked cheddar as the star. I blended the smoked cheddar with a sharp cheddar and a monterey jack. It tasted great and as you can see also had the contrast of colors.
I also am learning how to get a really good melt on my grilled cheese sandwiches. 2 tricks: First, I turn my grill on a lower temperature – 300 – 325 degrees and cover with a pan top; and two, instead of spreading the butter on the bread, I take the butter and apply it directly to the grill. The result of this application is a great browning of the bread.
Three Cheese Grilled Cheese:
- Take 2 pieces of wheat toast and fill with 3 slices of sharp cheddar, 4 slices of smoked cheddar and 3 slices of monterey jack
- Heat your grill to 325 degrees and take butter and melt it right on the griddle
- Put sandwich on griddle and after 3 minutes cover with a pot top
- Before flipping sandwich at the approximate 4 minute mark, reapply butter and turn the griddle down to 300 degrees
- Flip and cook for another 4 minutes covered the whole time; remove and serve