This Thai Red Curry Tofu was the second dish I made the night I made my Crispy Marinated Tofu. That night was the first time I had worked with tofu. I wanted to try to create different flavors with the tofu. I love Thai red curry. So I chose to marinate the tofu in the Thai red curry with some coconut milk. I love the combination of the red curry and the silkiness of the coconut milk. The only thing I did not know is how the tofu would hold up to the marinate. It held up just fine.
For those of you reading this who are true amateur chefs, note that this recipe is totally thrown together. Meaning, I had no real idea what I was doing and no exact objective. Sometimes, making a recipe is simply about putting ingredients together that you know you like. The only experience I had working for me was how long to cook the different ingredients. So I knew when to put the different vegetables in the skillet. Other than that, just wing it and enjoy it.
The other thing I love about this dish is all the vegetables. Vegetables give the dish such good textures. While I usually try to buy vegetables fitting to a ethnicity of my recipe, this time I picked vegetables that I liked and would add good color to the dish. Since I was using tofu as my protein, I also wanted to use a lot of vegetables. I really wanted the dish to be hearty and filling. As long as I was winging the recipe, why not wind all the vegetable choices as well.
Vegetable ingredients and then cut up in the bowl.
The coconut milk and red curry paste, and then, the tofu in marinating.
Cooking the tofu in the skillet.
Tofu removed and more red curry paste added.
The final Thai Red Curry Tofu plated.
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 14 ounces lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 red pepper, cut in long slices
- 1 pint mushrooms
- 6 ounces green beans
- 1 green pepper, cut in long slices
- 1 spicy pepper
- 1/2 red onion, small slices
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- Brown rice to serve
- Combine the coconut milk and the Thai red curry paste. Stir well.
- Add the tofu and let marinate for an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the veggies for cooking.
- Add the tofu and the marinate to a skillet on medium heat.
- Cook to warm the tofu and cook out most of the liquid.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and remove from the pan including the remaining coconut milk.
- Add the oils to the pan with the 2nd addition of the red curry paste.
- Let the paste cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the peppers, onions, broccolini and spicy pepper. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes to soften.
- Next, add in mushrooms, green beans and squash. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon over the vegetables.
- Finish off the dish by adding the tofu and remaining coconut milk back to the skillet.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice.