I have been writing about trying to perfect the perfect vegetable burger that will stay together after cooking. I will start this post off by saying I am still looking. However, the combination of sweet potatoes, chickpeas and lentils makes for a very hearty and meaty burger. Add some wonderful Indian spices and you have a Sweet Potato Chickpea Lentil Burger that will please the meat eaters in your household.
The closest combination to this recipe that I have tried was my Vegan Spicy Chickpea Burger. This veggie burger was very similar to this one in terms of ingredients and spices but the key spice was curry in this vegan burger. In my attempt to try to create a burger that would hold together better, I added lentils and breadcrumbs. The burger held together a little better but still not as firm as I want to achieve.
In a more recent attempt at a veggie burger, I combined black beans, sweet potato, and brown rice. My Vegan Black Bean Mushroom Burger is still not the answer but it was a really tasty veggie burger. I love the addition of the mushrooms. It made for a very meaty burger and also was the vehicle that I added more spice into the burger. The unique spin on this burger was that I added a lot of smoky spices to it to bring out the earthy flavors of the black beans and mushrooms.
Getting back to my Sweet Potato Chickpea Lentil Burger, the burger looks like it might hold together. Surely, the breadcrumbs will be a good binder. I took a different route to bring spice to this burger. I infused some avocado oil with cumin, coriander and turmeric. After letting it cool, I added it to the sweet potatoes, chickpea and lentils. This technique is one I have used before and adds lots of flavor. The spices really release there flavor and bring a deep flavor to the burger.
The burger ingredients cooked (or to be cooked) before being combined.
The oil and spices in the skillet.
The sweet potato, lentils and chickpeas in a bowl; spiced oil added, mixed and bread crumbs added.
The veggie burger in the skillet.
The Sweet Potato Chickpea Lentil Burger plated.
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 Cup lentils
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 Pretzel Buns
- 6 pieces Boston Bib lettuce
- Cook the lentils according to instructions and set aside.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until soft, mash and set aside.
- Cook the chickpeas in boiling water until they start to split.
- Mash the chickpeas.
- In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and the spices.
- Cook for 1 minute. Mix and set aside.
- Begin to create the burgers by combining the sweet potatoes and lentils. Mix well.
- Add the oil and spices and mix well.
- Add the breadcrumbs and form the patties.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Once warm, add the burgers to the skillet and cook 3 minutes aside.
- Plate your burger with the bun, lettuce and any sauce you like.
- Serve and enjoy!