Do you need a go to weeknight meal that can be ready and on your table within fifteen minutes? There are plenty of nights when I come home and want something fresh but do not want to go through my normal hours of prep. Seafood is so easy to prepare and does not take much time to cook. So all you need is somewhere to stop on your way home from work to pick up a fresh piece of fish. This Sweet Chili Salmon is simply salmon cooked with sweet chili sauce. Now that was easy.
Every so often, I get in the groove and work with a similar ingredient using it in different ways. In the last month, that ingredient has been sweet chili sauce. I recently posted my Sweet Chili Chicken and my Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadillas. Sweet Chili Sauce has its origin in Thai food. It is generally made of red chili peppers, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce and sugar. This sauce has the perfect compliment of sweet and spicy. I love that combination. If you want a basic flavor profile as a go to objective when choosing how to combine ingredients, think sweet and spicy. This combination brings complexity to the dish even if you are just learning to cook.
This Sweet Chili Salmon is so easy to prepare. Simply season the salmon with salt and pepper and place in a cast iron skillet flesh side down. After a couple of minutes, flip the salmon and top with the sweet chili sauce. Move to the oven to finish cooking. That’s it. The salmon tastes great and looks really good as well.
- 1 1/2 pounds Salmon
- 2 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 3/4 cup Sweet chili sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Season the salmon with the salt, pepper and Old Bay.
- Place the salmon with 1/2 cup of the sweet chili sauce in a dish and marinate for an hour.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat and add the oil until hot.
- Cook the salmon flesh side down for 2 minutes.
- Flip the salmon over and cover with the remaining sweet chili sauce.
- Finish cooking in a 325 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!