This post is generated around the new “Farm to Family Meals” from Perdue chicken. These are ready made and various types of breaded chicken nuggets and fingers. These offerings are not just for kids. The challenge was to create a recipe using one of these new products. I chose the Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Chunks for my recipe. The key to this recipe was to play off the sweet chili. I know this will not surprise you but I had sweet chili sauce in my fridge. I know it also does not surprise you to know my idea is one of fusion. I chose to marry Korean with my favorite Mexican style and came up with these Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadillas. What do you think @PerdueChicken?
Now a quesadilla may not seem that crazy of an idea from me. These Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadillas are more complex than they look and really combine much knowledge learned over my cooking journey. I carried the sweet chili flavor on the chicken to the quesadilla. I drizzled sweet chili sauce on the flour tortilla. Like a traditional quesadilla, I added cheese but very lightly. The Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Chunks topped the tortilla. Next, I layered the tortilla, one on top of another, repeating the ingredients one more time. The final spin on this great tasting recipe was a salad dressed with rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and honey. This dressed salad was topped after the final baking of the quesadillas. This dressed salad added a great acidic balance to the sweetness of the sauce and the richness of the cheese (I think I have been watching too many food shows).
The flavors of the quesadillas went perfectly with the chicken chunks. What makes this recipe so good is all the different experiences in my taste buds. The spice came from both the sweet chili in the chicken and the spice of the sweet chili sauce. The sweetness came from the sauce as well. The cheese added real richness. Finally, the dressed salad added texture, acidity and freshness to these quesadillas. I will be using components of this recipe again, again and again. Especially, since I received a coupon to make purchasing the Perdue chicken even easier!
- 5 Pieces of Perdue Sweet Chili Chicken Chunks
- 2 Flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup mixed spring salad
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Mix the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and honey and set aside.
- Place the chicken chunks on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1/2 the oil for each tortilla.
- Cooking one at a time, place the flour tortilla in the skillet.
- Drizzle on the sweet chili sauce and 1/2 the cheese on the first tortilla.
- Cook for 3 minutes and remove from the pan and set aside.
- Repeat the same process for the second tortilla.
- On a baking tray, top the tortilla, sauce and cheese with cut up sweet chili glazed chicken chunks.
- Return to the oven for 3 minutes.
- Dress the salad with the dressing.
- Remove the quesadillas from the oven. Top with the salad.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sweet Chili Chicken Chunks on baking tray.
Tortillas on pan, and then, added to baking tray and topped with the cooked chicken chunks.
The final plated Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadillas.