This Sriracha Chicken is such a cool recipe. What I so like about it is the cooking technique. I almost never eat or even buy skin on my chicken. I have, however, wanted to learn how to make crispy skin dishes whether it be chicken or fish. The skin on this chicken was so crisp, so good. My future answer, definitely make it again. The skin was irresistible.
Using my cast iron skillet, the chicken was cooked skin side down for roughly 15 minutes. You are simply crisping the skin at this point, not cooking the chicken. Spice can be put on before the crisping process to have the spice deep in the chicken skin. Then, at the end of the cooking process, the sauce can be added to spice up or make the dish richer. Since the skin is so crisp already, it does not lose its crispness with the addition of the sriracha. Pretty amazing concept!
The chicken is baked in the oven in the sriracha sauce to get a deep flavor. I think people are afraid that sriracha is too hot. It really is a nice spice without being overpowering. So in this dish, the cooking methodology captures the good spice of the sriracha without overwhelming your tastebuds. This dish is a real winner.
- 6 chicken thighs skin on
- 4 chicken skinless breasts (for my wife)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Heat to the smoking point but not smoking.
- Arrange chicken thighs skin side down and breasts
- Cook for 2 minutes and reduce heat to medium high.
- Cook for another 12 minutes.
- In a bowl, prepare the marinade including garlic, ginger, 2 tablespoons olive oil, Sriracha, rice wine vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken to marinade and coat well for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to cast iron skillet skin side up and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Brush the marinade on the chicken about 15 minutes through the cooking.
- Let rest for a few minutes and garnish with the limes and cilantro.