Now that I have the basics of making a good Mac ‘N Cheese down, I have started playing with the cheeses I use. My family loves smoke flavor. So I combined a full 8 oz of smoked Gouda and Colby jack and it was a big winner.
Smoked Gouda Mac ‘N Cheese:
- Set dutch oven over medium high heat and add 3 tbsp butter. Once melted, add in 3 tbsp all purpose flour. Combine well and cook for 1 minute
- Slowly add in approximately 1 & 1/2 cups of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of skim milk (you can certainly lighten this up) and stir continuously until roux begins to thicken – about 6 – 8 minutes
- Now start adding equal parts – 6 oz of shredded smoked Gouda and Colby jack in batches fully incorporating before adding the next batch
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees and finish adding in all the cheese
- Final step is to layer in some slices of the smoked Gouda and top with some additional shredded cheese and bake for about 6 – 8 minutes (the Gouda takes a little longer to melt)