This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SkittlesTourney #CollectiveBias. The shop began at my local Sam’s Club. I found the big bags at this big display but first I went down the candy aisle. It took a lot of strength not to buy more candy but I persevered.
Today is the last day my daughter is home on break before she goes back to the University for her last quarter of school. The two biggest traits my daughter got from her mother is her baking skills and her love of candy. What she got from me is a love of sports. She is a huge sports fan, and I mean huge. Normally, this would be a great time of year because her beloved team would be getting ready for the Basketball Tournament. Not this year. All is not lost. She still has the >skittlestourney.com
So she has to settle for helping me make this cake to have at a party we will host later. Before I get into the recipe, there is nothing better than party size candy for my family. I am the only one who is not big into candy but I am big into dessert. My wife, daughter and two boys always have candy in their drawers. That candy will last a lot longer if you buy these 54 ounce bags of Skittles. They are perfect for any party you have and there bright colors make a great centerpiece. Be sure to put the Skittles in clear bowls and spread throughout the room you entertain in. To find more ideas check out Skittles.com or check them out on Facebook.com/Skittles.
So as you think about recipe ideas for your tourney entertaining, it’s only madness if you don’t have Skittles. They are such a fun candy and as you will see from this Skittles Cake, they can be used very creatively in desserts.
Skittles.Skittles Cake2015-03-09 23:11:27Serves 10A cake infused with Skittles simply syrup and a Skittles butter cream frosting.Write a reviewPrep Time30 minCook Time45 minTotal Time1 hr 15 minPrep Time30 minCook Time45 minTotal Time1 hr 15 minCake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milkSimple Syrup
- 1/4 cup each red, green, yellow, orange and purple Skittles.
- 1/4 cup of warm water five timesFrosting
- 1/2 cup powdered Skittles (about 1/2 cup one color) *It is difficult to get the Skittles to grind 100% to powder so you will need to sift
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milkCake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use baking spray on 9" round pans.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add in batches to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean or the cake bounces up to the touch.Simple Syrup
- Add 1/4 cup of the warm water to the Skittles (I used small microwavable bowls for each color).
- Place each one in the microwave and cook in 15 - 30 second increments.
- Stir and repeat until the Skittles are fully Dissolved.Frosting
- Using a food processor, grind Skittles until a fine powder forms.
- Separate the chunks from the powder by sifting over a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add Skittles powder and 2 cups of the sugar. Mix on low speed until mixed.
- Gradually add 2 tablespoons of milk and continue to mix.
- Add the remaining sugar, mix, and add the remaining tablespoon of milk if desired for a softer buttercream.
- Next, poke the holes in the cake. I used a chopstick. (Next time, I would use a slightly larger tool and make bigger holes)
- Take each of the cups of simply syrup and pour it in an area of the cake. It will fall down the holes.
- Finish by frosting the 1st layer of the cake. Top with the second cake and then frost the rest of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!Feed Your Soul Too http://www.feedyoursoul2.com/
Eggs and Vanilla Added.
Flour Added in Batches and Mixed In.
Cake in Baking Dishes.
Skittles Simple Syrup.
Cakes Cooling with “Pokes”.
Skittles in Cuisinart.
Turned into a Powder and Sifted.
Added to Butter Cream Frosting.
1st Frosting Layer on Cake.
I would love to hear about your favorite entertaining ideas for the upcoming basketball tournament.