My parents were coming over for dinner and my mom loves corn bread. I adapted a Bobby Flay recipe I like by adding in a corn of cob I grilled outside. It added some really nice texture and flavor to the muffin.
Skillet Corn Bread:
- The day before you make the corn bread, bring a stick of butter to room temperature; add 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp salt and mix together well. I wrapped my in cellophane, wrapped with tin foil so I could make circles out of the butter for serving
- In your skillet, place 3 tbsp of vegetable shortening and put in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes
- While your skillet is heating, mix in a large bowl your dry ingredients including 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup of cornmeal, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt
- In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredients including 2 large eggs beaten, 2 tbsp honey, 1/2 fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and 1/2 a cup of skim milk and 2 tbsp melted butter
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and pour into your hot skillet
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes looking for a golden brown on the top; serve with the maple butter.