Following up on the last post, this dish was an addition to our night in, watching the Olympics. I went to the cheese drawer to see what we had. I somehow had bought a container of ricotta and had not used it. I know it gets used in lasagnas a lot, so it would probably be good in a mac ‘n cheese. I like the consistency it adds because it naturally thickens the sauce.
Ricotta Mac ‘n Cheese:
- Start by making the roux with 3 tbsp melted butter and add 3 tbsp all-purpose flour and stir until the butter is fully absorbed
- Next add a little at a time 1 pint of whipping cream and 1 cup of skim milk, stirring pretty frequently
- With the roux thickened up, start adding the cheese; I added 8 oz of colby jack, 5 oz of smoked gouda and 3/4 cup of ricotta
- In a pot of heated water, cook bow tie pastas and drain when al dente and then add to sauce
- Finish by cooking in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes (thickened up the ricotta) and top with a handful of cheddar and bake for 1 minute before serving.