Update – News flash – the minute this post went live I got a text from my daughter stating that I presented factually incorrect information. To ensure I am politically correct (after all it is election day and I would certainly want to have my facts straight), this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Loaf was made by my daughter and her friend Becca on fall break from college. I was there for moral support and obviously to record the baking event. Molly, how am I doing now?
When fall comes, I love to make recipes using pumpkin puree. This pumpkin cream cheese loaf was either my daughter’s idea or a combined idea. I think we set out to look for a recipe that we could use the cream cheese we had in the fridge and create a layered look. I have seen some really cool layered desserts and want to learn how to create these style of desserts.
I just googled layered bake goods to show you an idea using similar ingredients. These are Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookie Bars by Inside Bru Crew Life.
This recipe layers the pumpkin mixture with the cream cheese making 5 distinct layers. Some additional sweetness to this recipe by adding chocolate chips. I am not sure if this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Loaf should be categorized as breakfast or a dessert? Do you think of this recipe as a breakfast or a dessert? I haven’t told you yet that the loaf uses apple sauce as part of the wet ingredients. A healthier recipe and no loss of taste.
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C. vegetable oil
- 1/2 C. applesauce
- 2/3 C. milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 C. sugar
- 3 1/2 C. flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 1/2 C. chocolate chips.
- 16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease loaf pans
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, milk, vanilla extract and sugar
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger together
- Combine the 1st and 2nd bowl and stir only until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and milk together until smooth.
- Pour a little bit of batter into the loaf pan. Pour about 1/8 of the way up from the bottom
- Next, spoon cream cheese filling and spread it, gently, on top.
- Continue to alternate with a second layer of each.
- Finish the top layer with the pumpkin
- Bake 75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy!
Wet Ingredients Mixed.
All ingredients mixed.
1st Layer added to loaf.
1st Cream Cheese Layer added.
Repeated with another pumpkin layer, then cream cheese and topped with pumpkin.