This recipe was taken from the “Joy of Kosher” website. I think these potatoes are better thought of as Hash brown cups.
Potato Kugel Cups
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Ready time:
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 6 large Idaho potatoes
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Liberally oil six (6-ounce) Pyrex glass dessert dishes or custard cups. Place custard cups in a 9 x 13-inch disposable pan.
- Place the pan of cups in the oven to heat.
- Place eggs in a small bowl and beat. Add salt and pepper, mix well and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and, as you peel potatoes, place them in the cold water to prevent browning.
- Heat remainder of oil in a small saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into halves or quarters so they fit into food processor feed tube. Process potatoes and onions using the blade that creates thin, shoestring-like strips.
- Transfer potatoes and onions to a large bowl, add egg mixture and heated oil from stovetop, mix very well. Remove any large pieces of potatoes or onions that weren’t processed properly.
- Remove heated cups from the oven and spoon potato mixture evenly into hot, oiled cups.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 1 hour, or until the tops look crunchy and sides look golden and browned. Loosen edges with a knife, unmold and serve on a platter.