These Oreo Pumpkin Layer Bars are my final recipe in #Choctoberfest. A collection of chocolate recipes from food bloggers around the Country and beyond. FOOD BLOGGERS are a great bunch of people. It is a family that is so welcoming and truly helpful to one another. Food bloggers develop some of the best and most creative recipes you can find on the net. These bars are so good. They have three different layers and flavors.
The initial layer in these bars is made with Oreo cookies. I really enjoy Oreo crusts. Just crush the Oreo cookies and combine with melted butter. The second and main star of this layer bar is a mixture of eggs, cream cheese and pumpkin purée. These three ingredients are blended together and baked to create a hearty yet light consistency. Can something be hearty and light? That is what I am saying and I am sticking to it. The final layer is a punch of chocolate. It is a ganache layer that is drizzled over top of the pumpkin cream cheese layer.
I personally love the look of layer bars. Creating layer bars gives the chef a chance to play with flavors and textures. These Oreo Pumpkin Layer Bars begin with a chocolate bottom layer that has a good crunch to it. The second layer is both creamy and light. It has richness from the cream cheese and the sweetness from the pumpkin purée. Even though the final chocolate layer is drizzled on, it is very present. It sets very quickly adding a snap to the bite. For these bars, the chocolate drizzle also added a bit of a flair to the topping.
The cast of characters.
Combining the melted butter with the crushed Oreos, and then, pressed into the baking tray.
Building the second layer with the eggs and cream cheese, the pumpkin purée and topped on the Oreo layer.
The Oreo Pumpkin Layer Bars plated.
- 34 OREO Cookies, divided
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) butter, melted
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese , softened
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 oz) canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 ounces chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Start by placing the Oreos in a food processor.
- Blend until crumbs are formed.
- Melt the butter and pour into the Oreo crumbs. Mix well.
- Take a lined baking sheet (I used foil) and pour and press the Oreo mixture into the bottom of the tray.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from Oven.
- While the Oreos are in the oven, add the butter and sugar to the mixing bowl of your stand-up mixer,.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat on low speed until combined.
- Next beat in cream cheese until just blended.
- Finish this layer by adding in the pumpkin puree. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the mixture over the Oreo crust and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Put back in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Chop up your chocolate or use chips.
- Heat the heavy cream and when it just begins to bubble, pour it over the chocolate.
- Keep stir until the chocolate is fully absorbed in to the cream.
- Put the ganache in a squeeze bottle and drizzle all over the bars.
- Put in the refrigerator for a couple of hours minimum (I like my bars cold but these could be served at room temperature if you make them right before serving).
- Serve and enjoy!
Today is one of my favorite days of the year… because it is the first day of #Choctoberfest 2016!
#Choctoberfest is a virtual event put together by The PinterTest Kitchen. Bloggers from around the world will be posting their favorite chocolate recipes, and you’ll get a chance to win some awesome prizes. What’s not to love?
Thank you to the sponsors who make #Choctoberfest possible! This year, Imperial Sugar is back as our Gold Sponsor. They have been a trusted name in kitchens since 1843, and their website is home to thousands of sweet recipes tested in the Imperial Sugar Kitchen. You can find Imperial Sugar on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube, or join their Sweet Community so you can share your own recipes, save recipes to a virtual inbox, print Imperial Sugar coupons, and connect with other sugar lovers.
Imperial Sugar and our silver sponsors have banded together to offer a huge #Choctoberfest prize pack, which you can enter to win below! One lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive the following:
- From our Gold Sponsor Imperial Sugar: 1 case of granulated sugar (40 pounds), 1 case of brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of dark brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of powdered sugar (24 pounds bags), and an Imperial Sugar red ruffle apron
- From our Silver Sponsor Nature Nate’s: 32 oz. Raw & Unfiltered Honey bottle, Honey Syrup, Honey Packets, a Nature Nate’s T-shirt, various kitchen supplies, and $50 Amazon gift card
- From our Silver Sponsor Barlean’s:16 oz Barlean’s Butter-Flavored Coconut Oil, 9.52 oz canister of Chocolate Silk Greens, and 8oz bottle of Essential Women Omega-Swirl Chocolate Mint
- From our Silver Sponsor Caveman Coffee: 1 Bag of Coffee (you choice of blacklisted or sabertooth), 1 coconut MCT oil, and 1 Cacao Butter
- From #Choctoberfest blog hosts The PinterTest Kitchen: 1 specialty chocolate gift pack (your choice of dark or milk chocolate), 1 tin (14 ounces) drinking chocolate, and Divine’s Fair Trade Gift Set
Enter now to win our #Choctoberfest 2016 prize pack! We’ll be picking a winner at random winner on Saturday, Oct. 22, so enter by next Friday to make sure your name is in the drawing:
Here’s a list of all of the bloggers participating in #Choctoberfest 2016. Visit any of their blogs to get delicious chocolate recipes throughout the week:
The PinterTest Kitchen • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures • addicted 2 recipes • Amy’s Cooking Adventures • An Affair From The Heart • Balancing Motherhood • Body Rebooted • Bottom Left of the Mitten • By the Pounds • Canning and Cooking at Home • Coconut & Lime • Cook with 5 Kids • Cook’s Hideout • Cookaholic Wife • Cooking with Carlee • CopyKat Recipes • Cricket’s Confections • Crumbs in my Mustachio • Elisabeth Jean • Fairyburger • Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice • Family Around the Table • Fantastical Sharing of Recipes • Feed Your Soul Too • Feeding Big • Frankly Entertaining • Full Belly Sisters • Get the Good Stuff • Grumpy’s Honeybunch • Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks • Hostess At Heart • Ink and Sugar • Jane’s Adventures in Dinner • Join Us, Pull Up a Chair • Karen’s Kitchen Adventures • Kate’s Recipe Box • Kudos Kitchen by Renee • Kylee Cooks • Letz Eat • Life Currents • Life on Food • Making Miracles • Monica’s Table • Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog • My Catholic Kitchen • My Gluten Free Miami • Our Good Life • Palatable Pastime • Restless Chipotle • Seduction in The Kitchen • Sew You Think You Can Cook • Simple Food 365 • Southern With A Twist • Sumptuous Spoonfuls • Take Two Tapas • Tampa Cake Girl • Teaspoon of Goodness • That Recipe • The Crumby Cupcake • The Flavourista • The Food Hunter’s Guide To Cuisine • The Freshman Cook • The Pajama Chef • The Redhead Baker • The Spiffy Cookie • Tramplingrose • Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen • Zesty South Indian Kitchen
I’m looking forward to seeing all of the yummy recipes posted on these blogs. Check them out throughout the week and don’t forget to follow our sponsors and bloggers using the Rafflecopter giveaway widget above for your chance to win our sweet prize pack.
Are you a fellow food blogger who wants to get involved with events like #Choctoberfest? Sign up here to get notifications when they happen from The PinterTest Kitchen.