I do not do this very often but I am making a shout out to Angelo Caputo’s Grocery store. I was out visiting with ownership for my real estate business. I got so see the Headquarters location. Not only do they have a grocery store but they have their corporate offices and there food production and warehouse at this location. It is amazing. They make all their homemade recipes here. And when I say homemade, I mean mamma’s recipes. All the recipes are original family recipes.
When you walk through the store, you cannot help but notice all the Italian influences. I made my way over to the Italian counter. I should have taken a picture. I cannot even remember all the classic dishes they have. I went for the spinach pasta so I could make my own creation. I also made my way over to the vegetable section and bought some fresh mushrooms and some leeks a a red pepper for a little color pop. A simple mushroom spinach pasta was made.
I really like my pasta dishes with a gravy. True Italians call any sauce a gravy. When I say gravy with my pasta dishes, I am saying a roux based sauce. The leeks are sauteed in butter and oil. Then, the mushroom are thrown in to crisp up some, get the water out and infuse the liquid with mushroom flavor. The red peppers are added last just to soften some. Then, flour is added to absorb all the liquid in the pan. Stock is then used to get to the gravy consistency. Drop in the cooked spinach pasta and your Mushroom Spinach Pasta is ready to eat.
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach pasta
- 8 ounces bella mushrooms
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, diced
- 1/4 red pepper, diced
- 1 stick, 8 tablespoons butter (can substitute 4 tablespoons for olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- In a saute pan, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the diced leeks. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and red peppers and cook for 3 minutes or so. The mushrooms will shrink and there water will be cooked out.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Meanwhile, boil 4 quarts of water and once boiling, add the pasta and cook for 1 minute.
- Finish the vegetables by adding the stock to the vegetables and flour. Cook until the gravy thickens.
- The last step is to add the pasta to the vegetables and gravy. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy!
The leeks are sauteed in butter and oil
Next, the mushrooms and red peppers are added once the leeks are softened.
After the gravy has thickened, the cooked pasta is added to soak up a little of the sauce and tie everything together.
The final dish served up.