Hearty, healthy, vegetarian and vegan. These are not the normal words I focus on in my recipes and posts. For emphasis, I used these words to trick you. If I started with sharing how deep the flavors I created in this Mushroom Marinara dish, we would naturally think that there must be a lot of rich ingredients in this recipe. This dish draws its great flavor from the fresh herb paste used, sautéed mushrooms and onions and the fresh spinach and sweet potato fettuccine I made.
If you have not yet learned or tried to make your own pasta, it is so worth it. It is really quite simple, and made very simple, by having Kitchen Aid pasta attachments. Fresh pasta cooks so quickly and has such good texture and bite to it. In this Mushroom Marinara recipe, I used spinach and sweet potato noodles. I did this for both flavor, color and texture.
For the meat eaters out there, mushrooms are very hearty. Mushrooms have strong flavor and gives real body to this dish. I found this dish very satisfying. I can remember when I used to be totally a meat and potatoes kind of guy. This cooking journey I am on and getting older has given me two reasons to explore healthier and more vegetarian options. My regular readers know this fact and for those of you that have been with me since the incarnation of this blog, know that I have definitely been developing, creating, more and more, healthy recipes.
- 1 pound spinach fettuccine
- 1 pound sweet potato fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 cup Italian masala paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock (chicken stock is ok as well)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- In a double boiler filled with water, cook pasta for 2 - 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the oil.
- Add in the onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes releasing there water.
- Add in the paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in half the stock and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, and then, whole tomatoes..
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In another skillet, add in some of the pasta and some of the mushroom marinara.
- Mix the sauce into the pasta and simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve and enjoy!
The Italian Masala paste added to the skillet.
Stock, tomato sauce and tomatoes added.
The final Mushroom Marinara plated.