What am I going to do in a couple of weeks when my daughter goes back to college? I am losing (only temporarily) my fellow baker. What I love most is her desire to try recipes we have not made before. She is pretty fearless. We each like adding some different flavors to our chocolate desserts. We each love coffee though she does not like to drink it. This recipe with the contrasting look is a beautiful as it is tasty.
Ingredients (adapted from Southern Living)
- 4 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 – 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/4 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 16-oz. powdered sugar
- Microwave chocolate squares and butter in a measuring cup for approximately 1 1/2 minutes. Stop the microwave and stir a couple of times until melted. Stir in sugar.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Blend after each egg – do not over mix.
- Stir in flour and vanilla; stir in chocolate morsels. Pour mixture into a lightly sprayed 13- x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dissolve instant coffee in hot milk in a small cup, stirring to combine; cool completely. Pour milk mixture into a mixing bowl; add softened butter, and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread Cappuccino Buttercream Frosting evenly over top of cooled brownies.