Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of lasagna? Really, it is a bowl of noodles, sauce and either the vegetables or meat one adds. I think so many cultures have dishes that meld ingredients together in a way that mother’s could put a dinner on the table without slaving for hours. Lasagna is that Italian contribution. Most pasta dish are refined. This Meat Lasagna is noodles, sauce, meat and herbs layered one upon the other.
I am not trying to sell the lasagna short. It is just such comfort food. All of these ingredients could be adding into a baking dish, mixed and cooked together and the flavor would be great. The layering does add an element of sophistication to the dish. Can a comfort food be sophisticated? What do you think? Nonetheless, it is so good.
The meat is a mixture of ground turkey (less fat) and mild turkey Italian sausage to spice it up a bit. Traditional Italian seasonings are added to the meat and then the meat is balanced with whole stewed tomatoes and some fresh basil. The dish is really easy to assemble. The lasagna is alternating flat noodles, meat, cheese, pasta sauce, more meat and more cheese. Then, it is baked to a melty, cheesy perfection.
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 29 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 packages lasagna noodles
- 4 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 16 ounces ricotta
- 14 - 15 ounces of pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup pasta puree
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the box instructions. Set aside and drizzle with olive oil.
- Heat a stock pot on medium high heat. When hot, add the ground turkey and ground sausage.
- When browned, add the tomato paste and mix in.
- Next, add the tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes to let the liquid cook out and the tomatoes break down.
- Finish off the cooking of the meat by adding the basil and cook for one more minute.
- Begin by covering the bottom of the pan with the pasta sauce.
- Next add a noodle layer, followed by with some meat and finished with mozzarella and some more sauce.
- Add noodles, puree, meat and fresh mozzarella and more sauce.
- Add noodles and mozzarella.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Add a little more mozzarella and broil on high for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
The tomato paste, whole tomatoes and basil added.
The sauce added to the baking dish, followed by the noodles and the ricotta.
The first meat layer followed by the mozzarella and then the sauce added.
The second layer of meat topped with the fresh mozzarella and then finished off with the noodles and more cheese.
Te Meat Lasagna taken out of the oven.
The final plated dish.