Making pizza at home is so easy and I really feel it is something that can be as good as many of the places one gets pizza at and it certain is better than almost all delivery pizza. We were short on time so we bought pre-made dough from Trader Joes. We made pizzas with both regular and with wheat dough. The wheat dough really makes a crispier crust.
- Roll out pizza dough on a flour surfaced and add enough flour to take out most of the moisture. (Our family likes crisp crust so I made two servings out of the prepared dough.)
- In a sauce pan, add 1 – 15 & 1/2 oz can of tomato sauce, 1 – 8 oz can of tomato paste, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1 tsp each salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes
Assembling the Pizza:
- Before assembly process starts, put a piece of parchment paper on a pizza board and dust with corn meal (You will actually cook on the parchment paper making an easy slide off the board on to your pizza stone and the corn meal will make it easy for the pizza to slide the pizza off on to your cutting board)
- Spread sauce on the dough almost to edges (don’t overdo the sauce)
- Generously spread shredded mozzarella over the dough almost to the edge
- Finish by adding thinly sliced vine ripe tomatoes, pieces of fresh mozzarella and a two basil leaves that you have pulled apart in your hands.
- Place into a 450 degree oven on a pizza stone (place the rack on a middle shelf) and cook for 8 – 10 minutes