Yesterday’s post was How to make a Roux. That post was the base for this Macaroni N Cheese recipe. I am actually going to make a full week of dishes that used a roux as a base. I talked a bit about how a roux can serve as a base for so many recipes. With that said, there is nothing better than Macaroni N Cheese. If you have not made this dish with a roux and you make your kids the stuff out of the box, you need to try this just once. I have nothing against the box stuff when you do not have time. If you have 15 minutes, you can put this whole dish together and you will never want to go back.
This roux I made was actually a big change up for me. My go to combination is coconut milk and chicken stock. I had milk and marscapone in my fridge that I wanted to them use up. I have never tried marscapone in my Macaroni N Cheese. It has a great creamy consistency, so I was sure it would be good and it was. If your cheese sauce is too thick, add more milk. If the sauce is not thick enough, turn up the heat and be patient. The sauce will thicken up.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 - 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 - 8 ounce container of Marscapone
- 1 - 2 cups of milk (I used 2%)
- 3/4 cup smoked gouda
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese, divided
- 2 - 16 ounce boxes of Elbow Macaroni
- Heat a dutch oven or skillet on medium heat.
- Add the butter and melt.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour. Stir until the flour has fully absorbed the butter.
- Start adding the milk a little at a time.
- When the roux is start to get a creamy texture, add the marscapone and mix in well.
- The marscapone will eventually melt into the cheese sauce.
- Follow box instructions and drain noodles.
- Pour the cooked noodles into the cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Finish by adding the divided cheese in 2 phases. The first phase, mix it through the pasta.
- The last phase, top the dish for looks.
- Serve and enjoy!
Roux formed prior to adding cheese and then the spices added in.
The smoked gouda, cheddar and pepperjack cheeses, and then, beginning to add to the roux.
Noodles added to the cheese sauce and mixed in.
Final Cheese added and then the Macaroni N Cheese finished.