How does one elevate something so simple to another level. Once the basics of the roux are mastered, playing with cheeses and a little velvetta for creamyness makes this staple so much more. Further, this dish can be made with lots of cream or much more healthy by using chicken stock with evaoprated milk or a mixture of 1/2 & 1/2 and skim milk. I have used cocunut milk too and that turned out great as well.
Macaroni & Cheese:
- Add equal parts butter and flour to a pan.
- Let cook for a minute after the flour is fully absorbed but keep stirring. Add up to 2 cups of liquid – this time I used 1 cup of low fat 1/2 & 1/2 and 1 cup of smoked chicken stock (Saved and frozen from prior smoked chicken)
- Once the liquid is absorbed, allow to cook while stirring frequently until the sauce thickens up, salt and pepper to taste and add 1 – 2 tsps of cayenne
- Turn up heat to medium high and add Cheese (and experiment with different cheeses) – 2 medium slices of velvetta queso blanco, 6 oz smoked gouda and 8 oz of sharp cheddar. Remember to add the cheese slowly and incorporate fully before adding more.
- Finish off in oven to add a little crispness