I made this Layer Cake with Marscapone Filling with my daughter of course. The origin of this idea came from watching Giada while working out on the eliptical machine. I do not remember exactly what she made but I know she blended something into marscapone. Since I listen to music and only watch the Food Network while working out, I often make educated guesses at what I think I see them make on TV.
So this recipe was made up. Make cake, create a filling and don’t stop there. How about putting the filling in the middle and on the top. Then, top the whole cake with a chocolate ganache. Now we are talking and starting to get to an appropriate level of chocolate-ness.
I should also note, and more importantly, this cake was inspired by my father. I made this cake for his birthday. Hence, you see the candles on the cake. I should also point out, that ultimately, the cake is made for my mom and me. We have the real sweet tooth in the family. So all I need is an excuse to make a dessert. As a total aside, I looked up the plural of tooth for the phrase sweet tooth. There is no plural. It does not sound right either way, but apparently, I am grammatically correct.
- Follow Directions on the Box for yellow cake.
- Add 1 tablespoon of grand marnier to the cake mix to raise the flavor.
- 8 ounces Marscapone
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Bake the cake according to the box directions. Cook in two 9" round pans. Set aside and let cool. Once cool, place in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill before adding the marscapone.
- Bring your marscapone to room temperature. Place 8 ounces in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cocoa and mix well.
- Place the egg whites and powdered sugar in a bowl and mix until fluffy.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the marscapone.
- Next, add the first half of the marscapone to the top of the first cake.
- Add the 2nd cake layer on top of the 1st marscapone layer.
- Finish by adding the 2nd layer of marscapone.
- Meanwhile, in a double boiler or a bowl on top of a pot filled with water, melt the chocolate with the heavy cream.
- When fully melted, let cool a little. Pour the ganache on to the center of the top layer and let it flow down the sides. Be sure to cover as much of the cake as you can.
- Let is set in the fridge.
- Serve and enjoy!
Marscapone and Cocoa.
Egg Whites Added and Mixed.
Cake in Tins.
Cake with 1st Marscapone Layer.
2nd Cake Layer and 2nd Marscapone Layer.
Ganache Layer Added.