I wanted to create something a little lighter for an appetizer. The tomatoes looked pretty good at the store and I had some goat cheese in my refridgerator that I wanted to use before it went bad. The fun of cooking is going to the refridgerator and putting things together. I wanted to soften as well as mellow out the goat cheese just a little so I put it in a sauce pan with maybe a 1/4 cup of low fat 1/2 & 1/2. By softening and then cooling the cheese again, one ends up with a very creamy result.
Heirloom Tomatoes and Softened Goat Cheese
- Slice tomatoes using only the centers
- Take 1 – 6 oz package of goat cheese in a sauce pan on low heat
- Add 1/4 cup of low fat 1/2 & 1/2 and heat until fully incorporated (maybe 3 minutes)
- Remove from stove and dollop on tomatoes
- Return to the refridgerator for 30 – 45 minutes
- Take out 5 minutes before serving.