This post builds on my last post. I asked in the last post – what did I make this rye bread for? I then suggested there was a problem. I planned on making a grilled corned beef and Swiss cheese. When I went to the fridge, something was MISSING – the corned beef. Plan B – what else do I have in the fridge or on the counter that I can work with. I have Avocados. So the new idea is a Guacamole Grilled Cheese.
Swiss cheese will not work that well with this guacamole sandwich. I also had smoked gouda and muenster cheeses in the fridge. These cheeses will both go so well with the guacamole. But the ultimate key to this sandwich is the bread. My Rye Bread I posted on Monday is the perfect bread to compliment the cheese and guacamole. I think rye bread is the best bread for a grilled cheese. It browns and crisps up so well.
- 2 pieces rye bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 1/2 avocado
- 2 - 3 dashes tobasco
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 yellow grape tomatoes halved
- 6 slices smoked gouda
- 5 slices muenster cheese
- Spoon out the guacamole and rough chop in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and the tobasco and give a good stir.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Add the oil to a skillet and heat on medium heat.
- Place each cheese on one side of the bread.
- Add each piece of bread to the pan and cover the pan. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Remove from the pan.
- Top with the guacamole and the tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!
The cheese added to the bread, and then, grilling in the pan.
The final Guacamole Grilled Cheese sandwich plated.