I saw this basic recipe from the Weekend Gourmet and new I had to try it. They are from Texas, so their heat is dialed up. I brought the heat down a little to accommodate my audience. I also used ground chicken, I find it moister than turkey for grilling purposes and used hot Italian turkey sausage instead of chorizo.
The burger has some nice spices but the kicker is that you stuff it with cubed cheddar cheese and then top it while grilling with monterey jack cheese. There is a lot of flavors going on in this burger and then the sweetness of the cheeses.
Ground Chicken Sausage Burger:
- Combine 5 lbs of ground chicken with 5 Hot Italian Turkey Sausages, mix well
- Add the juice of 1/2 of a lime, 1 tbsp each garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Add 4 oz of cubed cheddar cheese and mix well
- Grill on medium heat for 4 – 5 minutes per side; during the last minute of cooking top with 2 pieces of monterey jack cheese
- Serve on a bun with a piece of iceberg lettuce and the Pico De Gallo.