Have you tried grilling vegetables on your outdoor grill? The great thing about summer is using the grill. The grill brings such a sweet flavor out of your vegetables. I have a vegetable tray (is that what you call it?). It is a big metal container that you put right on top of the grill grates. Just cut up your vegetables and throw them in the metal container. Let the vegetables cook turning them pretty frequently. When cooking on a grill, you want to get nice char marks yet have the vegetables maintain some firmness.
There are so many vegetables that work so well on the grill. In this recipe, I used zucchini, squash, a few kinds of peppers and corn on the cob. One of the fun things I did with this recipe was to cut the corn in thirds. I think, aesthetically, this makes this dish. The rest of the vegetables are cut into a fairly big dice. A big dice enables you to create a good char on the vegetables without over cooking them. The zucchini and squash get a good char, yet holds on to its crispness. The corn is cooked on the grill by itself and cooked in cut into thirds.
As my cooking journey has deepened, I am appreciating spices. You know I love to try and eat different foods from different places. I have also started to buy spices and oils from different regions. It is so fun for me to use these different spices and oils. These vegetables were enhance with Mediterranean spices. I got a chance to use my Mediterranean sea salt, oregano and my Greek olive oil. I really appreciate using the more local ingredients to enhance the dish.
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 medium squash
- 1 orange and yellow pepper
- 1 sweet pepper
- 3 ears of corn
- 1/4 cup Greek olive oil
- 2 teaspoons each Mediterranean sea salt and oregano, sea salt and pepper
- Rough cut all the vegetables into cubes.
- Mix the oil and spices.
- Dress the vegetables in the dressing.
- Reserve all of the dressing that does not get absorbed by the vegetables.
- Place the rough cut vegetables on your outdoor grill on medium heat in a vegetable grill holder.
- Place the corn directly on the grill.
- Cook the vegetables for 10 minutes. Turning the vegetables every couple of minutes.
- You want a nice char but want the vegetables to remain crisp.
- Cut the corn into thirds.
- Put the vegetables in a serving dish and cover with the remaining dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
The dressing is created and vegetables are dressed before grilling.
Vegetables being grilled in my metal container.
The final dish.