Pulling together what you have in your refridgerator is a really fun game. It is also like the show Chopped on the cooking channel with a little more flexibility in choosing ingredients. This time, I had chicken breasts that my wife had made. What to do? I pulled together, some smoked chicken stock, 1/2 of a remaining yellow onion, some fresh basil, some colby jack cheese, some banana peppers and a couple of slices of a tomato before it spoiled. End result, an enjoyable lunch.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich:
- Warm of smoked chicken stock – just cover the bottom
- Add a couple slices of yellow onion and cook for 2 -3 minutes to soften and pick up the stock flavor
- Add 2 tsp basil and the chicken breast halved and warm in stock until reheated
- Remove from pan and assemble sandwich with the chicken mixture. Then, add a few slices of Colby Jack cheese, a few banana peppers and a couple of tomato slices.
- Add oil to pan and grill until desired crispness of bread.