My family’s favorite food is Mexican. They probably request my enchiladas more than anything I make – well maybe the mac ‘N cheese. I love to creat Mexican or Spanish rice recipe because they are so flavorful. It seems you can put in so many different spices and it will taste awesome and you can always change up the recipe. I saw the image for Green enchilada rice from Heat Oven To 350 and thought that would go great with my smoked chicken enchiladas. This recipe is a keeper.
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 red jalapeno, diced
- 1 green jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tbsp Mexican Chili Powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans green enchilada sauce
- In a large skillet with onion and bell peppers - about 5 - 6 minutes
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Season with salt, pepper and Mexican Chili Powder
- Add in the uncooked rice and let toast for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir well
- Add the tomatoes with there juice and cook for 2 - 3 minutes
- Pour in the chicken stock a little at a time - you may not need all the stock
- Finish by adding the enchilada sauce and stir and cook until warmed through
- Serve and enjoy!
Saute the vegetables to soften and the garlic to release its flavor.
Next, the rice is added so it is toasted much like is done when making risotto. The rice soaks up all the good flavor from the sauteed vegetables.
Tomatoes with there juice is added and again the rice absorbs the liquid.
Once the rice is mostly cooked, add the green enchilada sauce.
Mix the sauce through the rice and vegetables and you are ready to serve it.