You have heard a fair bit from me about reasonably healthy dishes and trying to incorporate more and more healthy ingredients in my cooking. Today was as far from it as I could get. Did someone say cholesterol? If french toast was not bad enough, I added pastrami after I cooked the french toast. If french toast and pastrami were not bad enough, I added 2 different types of cheeses. If french toast, pastrami and 2 different types of cheese were not enough, I topped it with a fried egg.
This was decadent but I think I could feel my arteries harden while I was eating the sandwich. I may repeat a variation of this someday, but rest assured, you will not see it posted on here for a long time – not because I am worried of what you would say but because I want to live to make many more meals and posts.
French Toast Grilled Cheese Sandwich with a Fried Egg:
- Start with beating 2 eggs, adding 1/2 cup of milk and 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Dip the french toast into the egg wash and place on a lightly butter griddle and cook for 3 minutes per side at 325 degrees – get a good coloring with this step
- To assemble the sandwich, take 1 piece of the french toast, add 2 pieces of pastrami, 2 slices of Monterrey jack and 1 slice of mild cheddar cheeses place in a 350 degree oven for 3 minutes – just enough for the cheese to melt
- While melting the cheese in the oven, fry your eggs
- Pull the french toast grilled cheese out of the oven, top with the egg and finish with a 2nd piece of french toast.