I have wanted to try to make focaccia bread for some time. I was inspired by seeing a blog post by Dara of the Cookin’ Canuck. I put a small twist on what I included by switching Banana Ring Peppers for the roasted red peppers and I skipped the olives. End result is great bread which I used for my Sunday sandwich (see next post).
Focaccia with Banana Rings:
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together 2 1/4 tsp of active yeast with 1 cup of water and 1 tsp of honey. Let sit for about 10 minutes until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Next, stir in 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1 tsp kosher salt. Mix Well
- Dust a kitchen surface with a light coating of flour and knead the dough mixture for 5 – 10 minutes (you want to turn in it in on itself to get to a point where the dough mixture is no longer tacky)
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel; move to a dark place and let rest for an hour
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees; remove the dough from the bowl and press it into a lightly oiled 9″ x 13″ baking pan. Final step of this process is to take your fingers and poke holes throughout the dough
- Drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and let rest another 30 – 40 minutes (until your desired thickness)
- Top with a handful of Banana rings placed uniformly over the dough; sprinkle 1/2 tsp of dried oregano and 1/4 tsp of salt over dough
- Bake until golden brown – about 12 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and eat when ready