The baking quest continues. Contrasted to cooking, baking is much more exact with ingredients and directions. For me, I have started with recipes that I would want to eat. I am a huge chocolate fan. So a recipe with dark fudge cake mix, a chocolate filling and a chocolate topping, sounds good to me. This recipe is from the Cake Doctor book on Chocolate.
Dark Chocolate Roulade:
- Lightly butter a 16 & 1/2″ 1″ jelly roll pan and cover with parchment paper and lightly butter the parchment paper; set aside
- Place the cake mix, 1/2 cup of water, 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, and 4 large eggs in a mixing bowl and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides down and beat for 2 more minutes
- Pour cake mixture evenly into the jelly roll plan and smooth with a spatula and place in a 350 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes. The cake is done when you either push down with your finger and it bounces back or you dip in a toothpick and it comes out clean
- Dust a kitchen towel with cocoa powder and right after you take the cake out of the oven invert the pan onto the dusted towel. Carefully peel off the parchment paper and firmly roll cake into a jelly roll form – be firm but not to forceful. Place seem side down and allow to cool for 30 minutes (I used my serving dish at this point)
Chocolate Cream Filling:
- While the cake is cooling, prepare this filling. Begin with 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave dish and heat for 1 – 1 & 1/2 minutes. Enough so that it melts and you can mix with a spoon
- Now add 1 stick of room temperature butter, 1 jar (7 oz) of marshmallow creme to the chocolate. Beat in an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides and add 1 & 1/2 cups of confectioners’ sugar and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape sides 1 more time and beat on medium for 1 minute until fluffy
Assembling the Roulade with the filling:
- Now that the cake has cooled, carefully unroll the roulade. Spread the chocolate cream filling evenly over the cake
- Roll up again into the roulade shape and make sure seem side is down. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge.
- Place 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 stick of butter and 2 tbsp light corn syrup in a microwavable bowl. Cook on high for 1 – 1 & 1/2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and mix with a metal whisk until all ingredients are fully incorporated
Final Assembly Step
- Take roulade out of fridge and pour glaze over top
- Use a spatula and make long smooth strokes to get a smooth finish (I left it a little more rustic)