Cole slaw is a family favorite in my house. It goes so well with whatever I smoke. I have worked hard to perfect my dressing. We like creamy but as you know, I want to reduce the fat in what I make. So I have substituted fat-free Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise. This time I, however, added a spoonful of sour cream to get some fat and richness into the dressing. The other switch I have made is that I am using Napa cabbage instead of traditional green cabbage. I really like the texture. I slice it really thin. No mandolin or other device.
- 1/2 a head of Napa cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/2 a head of red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 carrot shredded lengthwise
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 spoonful of sour cream
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Carolina Red Sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I usually use skim but I had this in the fridge and did not want to waste it)
- 1 spoonful of (pre) minced garlic
- 1 – 2 tsp celery salt
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the cabbage and carrots in a big bowl and set aside until you are ready to serve. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a mason jar and shake well. Put in the fridge for a couple of hours to make sure it is good and cold. 5 minutes or so before serving, dress the slaw with the dressing. Enjoy!