How amazing do chocolate and caramel go together? Simon & Garfunkel/Peanut Butter & Jelly? You get the idea. Now add a third layer of graham crackers with brown sugar mixed in. Ridiculous. I found this recipe through a blogger and I can’t find the person to give credit. She adapted this from Giada.
Chocolate Caramel Espresso Bars:
- In a food processor, combine 2 bags of graham crackers (12 rectangles) with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 sticks of melted butter (I know, just put it in)
- Spread the mixture into a lined 8″ x 8″ pan; press it into one even layer and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 – 12 minutes; Let cool for about 15 minutes
- While the crust is cooling, in a sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup of heavy cream, 1 stick of butter (just do it), 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and 1 tbsp of water (what’s that doing in here?)
- Bring to a boil and cook until a thermometer registers 240 degrees – somewhere from 5 – 7 minutes
- Let cool for 20 minutes and then stick in the freezer for 15 minutes
- While the graham crackers and caramel are in the freezer, combine chocolate chips, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 tsp instant espresso powder and cook for 30 seconds on high heat in high heat. Mix until fully incorporated. If the chips need more melt, then put back in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour on top of the solidified caramel. Pour chocolate mixture over and spread with a spatula making a smooth layer.
- Put in the fridge for at least an hour and take out when you are ready to eat.