If you have read earlier posts, I love chocolate and raspberry together. My daughter really likes vanilla so I decided to bake somewhere down the middle. I made the cake with chocolate and made a vanilla buttercream frosting with a hint of raspberry syrup for both flavor and color.
Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- For the chocolate cake, take 1 package (18.25 oz) of chocolate devil’s food mix and combine in a mixing bowl with 1 cup of sour cream, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 3 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 grated pieces of semisweet bakers chocolate and mix on low speed for 1 minute; take a spatula and scrape the sides and mix for an another 2 minutes
- Pour the batter into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes; remove and place on a wire rack to cool
- For the raspberry vanilla buttercream frosting, place 1 stick of butter at room temperature, 2 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 cup of confectioners sugar in a mixing bowl and blend on low speed for 30 seconds
- Now add alternately 3 more cups of the confectioners sugar and 1 tbsp of milk (3 total) blending on low speed
- Finish by adding 1 tbsp raspberry syrup and raise mixer to medium and blend until fluffy
- To finish, take the buttercream frosting and spread across the cake and top with fresh raspberries